Your list contains a lot of valuable information about your customers, and with MailChimp’s powerful segmentation tools, you can use that data to personalize your marketing. And since just about anything can be used as criteria for your segments—like a customer’s location, birthday, engagement history, or interests—it’s always easy to reach the right people with the right message at the right time.
If you sell stuff online, one of the best—and most effective—ways to increase the relevance of your messaging is to segment based on the shopping behavior of your customers. In fact, our research has shown that campaigns sent with e-commerce segments result in almost 3 times more sales per subscriber than campaigns sent without any segments at all.
Luckily, MailChimp makes that super simple—when you connect your store, your customer purchase data is automatically synced to your MailChimp list. We create pre-built segments of your potential, first-time, recent, lapsed, and loyal customers so you can quickly target them in just a few clicks. We’ll even update those segments automatically as subscribers meet the requirements, so you’ll never need to worry about maintaining them manually.
Let’s look at a few of the ways you can incorporate pre-built segments into your marketing strategy.
Target potential customers
MailChimp has a bunch of different tools that you can use to help you grow your list—like pop-up forms, landing pages, or Facebook and Instagram ads, just to name a few. But getting people to join your list is just the beginning; once they’ve subscribed, it’s up to you to make a good first impression.
With the Potential Customers pre-built segment, you can easily reach new subscribers who haven’t made a purchase from your store just yet.
- Send a welcome automation to say hello, introduce folks to your products, and tell them what you’re all about. Be sure to include a catchy subject line to grab their attention, and then provide relevant, compelling content so they’ll always be excited to see your newest email land in their inbox—and be more inclined to become a paying customer in the future.
- After driving those new subscribers to your site with a welcome automation, consider using Google remarketing ads to keep your products fresh in their minds as they browse the web—and bring them back when they’re ready to buy.
Target lapsed customers
A lapsed customer is someone who’s had prior interest in your business and products, but hasn’t made a purchase in a while. Give them a gentle nudge back to your store by sending a customer re-engagement automation to the Lapsed Customers pre-built segment. Here’s how that series might look for your business:
- Email #1: Tell your customers that you miss them, showcase your best sellers, or introduce them to some of your newest arrivals.
- Email #2: Add a promo code content block to your emails and offer a discount to returning customers.
- Email #3: Make one last push to bring the customers back to your store—with an even bigger discount.
Target loyal customers
The customers who regularly support your business are vital to your growth and success, so be sure to let them know they’re appreciated. Our pre-built segments make it easy to say thanks to your most active buyers—and keep them coming back. These customers already have an interest in your business and products, so you can send them more targeted emails based on their purchase history and behavior.